Thursday, July 22, 2010

Japanese Spider-Man Episode Zero - Part Seven: A conclusion

So, after almost 8 months of pondering this single episode of a Japanese, Marvel Comics inspired TV show from the 1970’s I decided to actually finish blogging about it. It took me 8 months for a variety of personal and professional reasons that can be summed up as follows; My personal and professional lives interfered with my ability to find time to write this. I have a lot on the go. I have a baby, a full-time job, a flickr addiction and I am attempting to write a script for a comic book. Mostly it’s the baby and the flickr addiction that, if I am honest, take up the majority of my time. (I hope anyone from my work who reads this takes it with the ironic sense of humour that it is intended to be taken.)

So today, I decided that I would finish my epic, 7-Part review of Japanese Supaidaman. In order to conclude this review, I decided that I would think about whether or not I plan to watch the rest of the series and give some indication as to why. Frankly, I don’t. It has been almost 8 months since I watched the episode for the first and second time and I haven’t watched another since. This, for me, is the most important measure. It isn’t just that I haven’t had enough time to watch them, I just haven’t felt compelled to do so. The show was really just OK. Not great.

The real issues here is that it is too much of a stretch from the original Spider-Man concept. I like Spider-Man. He isn’t my favorite super hero, but I like him. What I don’t like are Super Sentai television shows. Which is what this really boils down to. The only thing that relates it to Spider-Man at all is his costume. I really don’t like this type of show. Right when the man-sized shark-guy grew to insanely large proportions and Supaidaman had to jump into the Marveller and everything began to look like a faded, older version of the Power Rangers, or a live-action version of Voltron. This just isn’t my favorite genre and it has been bothering me to increasingly irritating levels ever since I finished watching episode 0 for the first time. Incidentally, I don’t mind Voltron. Giant fighting robots I can take in their animated form. I just don’t like when people grow really really big for not reason and fight on fake looking sound stages that don’t really look like the place they were supposed to be in before they got big.

I enjoyed watching it the first time until it got to the getting-big portion. I found it interesting to study some of the images that I found when I watched the show and found it fun to make stuff up when I couldn’t be sure where the images originated. But in the end, I didn’t enjoy it enough to watch more of the episodes. It was worth the single viewing, but I won’t be going back for more. Oh well. I really wanted to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment